Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cookie Dough Truffles, aka Digestion Cookies

With all my digestive troubles I needed something sweet that would help my tummy not hurt it, hence these yummy treats.  Easy no bake bites of deliciousness that are as healthy as they can be.  Full of fiber and nutrients and easy to adapt to different tastes and dietary restrictions, I really hope you try making these.

Here is what you need:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/4 cup oats, I like quick since they are smaller and still whole grain
1/4 cup honey, since these are raw it is a great time to use raw local honey, mine comes from my backyard :)
1/2 cup nut or seed butter, today I used peanut butter, but this works great with sunbutter, almond butter, cashew butter, coconut butter, and pumpkin seed butter
1 T chia seeds
1 T poppy seeds
1/2 tsp salt

In addition today I added some roasted cocoa nibs.  I wanted a little chocolate peanut butter combo.  But you can add things like chopped fruit, nuts, seeds, spices, candied ginger, or any other item that makes is taste better to you.  I like the snickerdoodle version with a ton of cinnamon and a little ginger.

Simple to make, just measure into a small bowl.



Then mix until all combined.



If it is too soft to scoop and roll add more coconut flour.  If it is too firm add a little water or more honey or nut/seed butter.  I like to use a small cookie scoop, then just roll in my hands till it looks like a smooth truffle.  Stick in the fridge to chill and firm up.



In retrospect I should have added a little more coconut flour as these didn't hold their shape quite as well as usual, but they taste so good!  A fun treat full of healthy ingredients that you can feel good about indulging in.  The ingredients all help digestion and these treats freeze well too.  Hope you try them!



4 comments:

  1. These sound PERFECT for after school snacks too! Huge dose of filling fats and proteins to tide over the masses before dinner is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great for snacks. They are surprisingly filling and I try to have one after a big workout with a big glass of water, seems to help a lot. Plus they are healthy enough no worries if the kids eat a few :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these tonight! Yum! Although I was bad and coated them with melted dark chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that sounds like a fantastic idea! I think I might make some tomorrow, I feel like making candy stuff lately.

    ReplyDelete