Monday, June 20, 2011

Black Bean and Red Onion Burgers

Since we've been talking about vegetarian proteins, I thought I would share this yummy black bean recipe.. you can serve this with some melted cheese on top, on a burger bun or just by itself (although I like to add at least some guacamole!) The recipe itself recommends a blend of mayonaise and salsa (which is good, but not my favorite)

2 cups canned black beans, rinsed
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup minced red onion (I like to saute this first, since I don't love raw onion)
1 tsp chili powder
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs (Ians makes whole wheat bread crumbs)

Mash 2/3 of the beans with a fork, stir in the onion (once it's cooled if you're sauteing it), chili powder and bread crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours). Form into 3 (I usually get 4) patties, cook in lightly oiled frying pan until golden brown on each side. Around 5 minutes a side.

3 comments:

  1. Those sound so good, we all LOVE black beans! I am so going to make these this week, with some homemade salsa I canned last fall. I was actually wanting to try making tortillas this week, and these would be perfect wrapped in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So we loved these. We even turned the mixture into an enchilada filling with the homemade tortillas. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you saute the onions first? I have also in the past added roasted corn to these and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete