Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

This works great in an HE machine, is great for me and my kids, who have sensitive skin, and worked great on cloth diapers.  Plus you can make it any scent you like.

4 cups water
1 bar soap
3 1/2 gallons water
borax
washing soda
essential oil, good choices are lemon, orange, tea tree, or any other with some antibacterial property

Get a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid.  In it put 3 1/2 gallons of water.  In a small saucepan put 4 cups of water and grate in 1/3 to 1/2 bar laundry soap or other organic bar soap of your choice.  Put over low heat and stir to melt the soap.  Stir this into the water in the bucket.  Stir in 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 cup washing soda.  Add 1/4 to 1/2 bottle of essential oil.  I used orange and it smelled great.  Mix everything really well until it gets thick and detergent like.  Cover and let sit overnight.  The next day you can do laundry. 

This was so easy and fun to make, and I don't need to use much, so it will last forever!  Plus you can use any soap or scent to make it your own.  Next time I might try lavender and tea tree oil.

2 comments:

  1. I spray my house with a lavender and tea tree oil mix! Well, in water, obviously. Heh. But I LOVES that scent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just been making homemade air freshener that way, except I add some baking soda to the water with the essential oil, helps neutralize icky smells. I love the smell of the tea tree and lavender, it is great!

    ReplyDelete